Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I had my weekend all planned out...

I had my weekend planned with all sorts of fun activities, and the Baby Center sends me this email with activities I should avoid since I am pregnant....what a bummer. My thoughts follow in blue.

What activities should I avoid during pregnancy?
Expert Answers I love how the experts weigh in on the following activities.
Joanna Stone, M.D.

As your pregnancy progresses, you should avoid any activity that puts you at risk for falling or increases the chance of trauma to your abdomen. And the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) notes that activities at altitudes over 6,000 feet may carry some risks, as less oxygen is available for you and your baby. The following activities can cause problems during pregnancy:

Bicycling: Cycling isn't a good idea for newbies, but experienced riders may be able to continue until their second trimester, when a shifting center of gravity affects balance and can make cycling dangerous. What they really mean by a "shifting of center of gravity" is just a nice way of saying "dealing with getting fat over a short period of time"

• Contact sports: Soccer, basketball, and hockey put you at a high risk of injury from a ball or puck, a collision with another player, or a fall during play. And I was really hoping to get some "ice time" in before August. Dammit (ohhh did I just say Dammit. I mean darn)

• Downhill skiing: ACOG advises against downhill skiing anytime during pregnancy because of the risk of serious injuries and hard falls. If you choose to ski, stick to gentle slopes and be aware that you may have problems with balance as your belly expands. Once again, getting fat over a short period of time may be hazardous to your balance. We get it!

• Gymnastics: Same risk of falling and increased chance of trauma to your abdomen. Better stop working on my floor and vault routine before someone gets hurt

• Horseback riding: Even if you're a good rider, it's not worth risking a fall. I'd rather be riding Lark

• Post-sport tubs and saunas: Soaking in hot tubs and Jacuzzis or sitting in a sauna can be dangerous to your developing baby because overheating has been linked to birth defects. Exactly what I wanted to do on a 95 degree day was jump in a sauna...

• Running: If you weren't a runner before you got pregnant, now's not the time to take it up. Otherwise, it's fine in moderation. From your second trimester on, when the risk of falling increases, you should run with caution. As with all forms of exercise, avoid becoming overheated, and drink plenty of water to replace fluids lost through sweating. We all know my thoughts on running

• Surfing: Same risk of falling and increased chance of trauma to your abdomen. Looks like the waves on Sandy Lake are going to have to wait until next summer...

• Tennis: A moderately paced game of tennis is okay if you played before you became pregnant. But you may have problems with balance and sudden stops, so watch your step. Most women find that it's hard to keep up their game as their bellies get bigger in the second and third trimesters. Note to self: cancel match with the Williams Sisters

• Waterskiing: Another activity that puts you at risk for falling and increases the chance of trauma to your abdomen. Guess you won't be hearing the words "hit it!" from my mouth anytime soon.

Now I understand some women may not know what the boundaries are during pregnancy. As well as some women reading this may not be some 33 weeks pregnant. I just keep picturing myself, at this point in the pregnancy, trying to do some of these activities and all I can do is laugh.

2 comments:

Sara Sylvester said...

Thanks for making me laugh like you normally do Cran!

Unknown said...

Funny--I, too, would rather be riding Lark.....