Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Too amazing not to share...

Seven years ago Brent asked me to be his wife. He came up with a well thought out plan and searched for the perfect engagement ring. Of course we all know my answer to his question of "Will you marry me?"

Fast forward five years. We were travelling home from northern Wisconsin from a family funeral with Brent's brother Craig and his wife Molly. We made a stop at a gas station for a quick bathroom break and a snack. When we got back in the van and I pulled out my hand sanitizer to use since the bathrooms inside were sort of nasty. I remember the moment like it was yesterday when I slipped my rings off my fingers and put them in my purse. Since the day was warm my fingers were a little swollen so I decided to just leave them off until we got home.

Coming home to a busy 19 month old I completely forgot about the rings and they sat in my purse in the van. Within the next day I ran one errand; to the grocery store in town. The next day I realized I didn't have my rings on and went out to my purse to get them. My grandma's ring was in my purse and that is when my heart dropped. My wedding ring was not in my purse. I was sick. I emptied my purse out and shook it hoping it would fall out. It didn't. I tore the van apart looking for the ring. I called the grocery store everyday for a week asking if anyone had turned in a ring. I searched the van daily hoping I had missed it. I looked in the dark with flashlight hoping it would shine and I could see it. With no luck. It was gone.

A few weeks later I told Brent. I was so ashamed and still sick that I had lost the ring that we vowed upon. He tore the van apart. He searched and searched for it. He had the same luck I did. A few months went by and we had heard from a few people to call the insurance company and ask if it was covered. What could it hurt? It turns out the ring was covered, 100%, so I was able to claim it as "lost" and get reimbursed and buy a new ring. This helped and the new ring is beautiful. However, it wasn't the original ring.

Every time I have cleaned out the van I have checked the shop vac bucket to see if it sucked up the ring. The few times I have taken the van to get it professionally cleaned, my stomach would tighten up as I wondered if they would suck up my ring...

Yesterday I decided to take the van to get washed. I am in no shape to bend over a vacuum trying to get every last crevice of sand and dirt. I took a small bag and was picking up some stuff that rolled under the seats. I found a few random snack cups and an old Happy Meal Toy.

And then I saw it. Twenty months later, laying under the seat like I had just lost it was my wedding ring. I looked at for a second without picking it up and said something to the effect of "No way." I put it on and immediately called Brent to tell him what I had found.

What a day.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I have goose bumps!!!! SO GREAT! Now each of your girls will one day have a diamond ring that belonged to their mom! Ok...that was kind of morbidly thinking ahead...but still!
Post of picture at the bottom of this post ASAP!!!!

Aaron Mathison said...

You better hope your insurance agent doesn't read your blog :) Also good thing you didn't sell the van in that time frame!

Sara Sylvester said...

I lost my wedding ring for about 48 hours about a month ago. My heart was breaking in that small time frame. I can't imagine 20 months. I am so happy for you that you found it!

Anne said...

Wow!!!!! That is so awesome!

Kelsey said...

What a cool story Kristie...thanks for sharing!

Lexie said...

so happy you found it! That is great! What a cool story! I lost my ring once for a day and it was the worst feeling ever!

Amanda Jean said...

I remember you telling me that you'd lost it...and gotten a new one. How CRAZY that you found it now! That's so wonderful.