Thursday, September 23, 2010

I’m becoming my mother…

but this time its ok.  Once I became aware that the family disease that has taken over my mom was genetic, I I feared my mother’s disease each and every day.  There wasn’t a day that went by that I didn’t attempt to stand on one leg and hold my arms at my side, willing myself to balance on my own. If I was the least bit wobbly I would fear that the symptoms were setting in.  And then I made the decision to get tested.  And.just.like.that the worries, for myself, subsided.  Now most days I take a minute or two and sigh for my mom or my dad…

Anyways. Pfew enough of that somberness.  I was organizing the kids’ snacks the other day.  I had all of the food from the second shelf of the pantry all over the floor.  I decided as long as I was doing the second shelf I mine as well tackle the bottom shelf.  This has become our “stock shelf”.  Extras, if you will.  When I pulled all of the extras off of the bottom shelf, I laughed.  I laughed out loud, with only myself to hear.  Then I grabbed my camera to share with all of you what made me laugh.

DSC09085

We really really like pancakes and waffles in our house :)  Notice how the overstock of syrup is not organic, pure, or sugar free by any stretch.  Letsbereal, if you are going to do breakfast for dinner, at least do it right.

Growing up, before dementia struck my mom, she was really good at never running out of random things.  I specifically remember four jars of mayonnaise and numerous bottles of ketchup.  It was cyclical.  We didn’t always have jars and jars of mayo (specifically) on hand. But every once in awhile you could find three bags of oyster crackers stacked on top of each other right next to seven cans of tuna.  Guess she never wanted us to go without…

Apparently never running out of random things, is also genetic.  No test needed to confirm that, this gene, I inherited. 

1 comment:

Aaron Mathison said...

My mom does the same thing, only it's been worse lately than I remember as a kid. The last time I came home they had a closet in the laundry room full of non-perishable stuff that must have been on sale at one point or another. If there's ever a disaster, I know they'll be well fed at least for a month or three...