Monday, September 20, 2010

You’re a big kid.

Fall is here.  It is time for sundresses to be put away and your worn out flip-flops to be packed thrown away.  I pulled out a pair of jeans for you to wear today, they were size 4T. Seems reasonable enough, right?  My mom always taught me that when you are young you are supposed to wear your age.  You are four so you should wear 4T.  When you got dressed on Saturday, I could see we had a problem.  Though we weren’t expecting a rainstorm fit to turn into flood—you were dressed for one.  Your jeans too short, your shirt sleeves above your wrist bone and it almost looked like a shirt Winnie the Pooh would wear. 

I know what has to be done.  It is time for you to move up to the next size.  But you see, this time it is hard.  Since the day you were born you’ve worn your age.  When you were 6 months old, you wore size 6 months. When you were two you wore size 2T.  But now, now we pack away 4T and we buy size 5.  If my memory serves me correctly you aren’t supposed to wear size 5 until you turn five in January.  Though I talk like I want to put a book on your head to keep you from growing up, it isn’t possible.   You are growing into a beautiful and smart little girl, who now wears size 5.  And so we continue on the ride, it seems to be an incredibly fast ride, but it sure is fun… 

2 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

Thank God we don't always wear our age! I'm okay with that at this point in my life :) Isn't it funny, though, how first she's younger than her pants size, and in a few short years, she'll be older than her pants size? Hm...

You'll be wondering where the time went, and how she wound up back in a size 4 12 years later...

Amanda Jean said...

Oh yes, and on that day, you'll ground her until she's 30, with no other reason than because you said so. Oy, 16-year-olds...