Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Homework. For real?

Mallory's preschool started up the fall school year program today. This means there are a few more kids, less field trips and a structured school program from 9-11:30 each day. Even though the day felt no different for Mallory, I felt like I should send her in a new outfit with a new lunch box and a new box of crayons. I didn't, but I really wanted to.

When I picked her up she had a folder of paperwork to take home. This included a few announcements, a new health information sheet, and...HOMEWORK. Yup. They have weekly homework assignments. They are in preschool! Mallory was standing next to me when I was going through the paperwork and quickly piped in "Don't forget my homework!!" I laughed and told her I had it all, not to worry. I also mumbled "Now if that isn't blog worthy..." When we got home and settled she said she wanted to do her homework. This moment, I will make sure to remind her of, in say mmm 5 years and for the following 5 after that when she is stomping her feet and pouting that she has homework to do every day after school.

I am sure you are all dying to know what they give preschoolers for homework, so I will tell you. This week's assignment is a "Getting to Know You" worksheet. You ask the student the question and write down their answer. I made sure to get her first answer with no help from me.

Want to get to know Mallory?
The things I like best about me are:
I like being Mallory

My favorite color is:
Blue

The things I like best about my family are:
playing with my family and giving them hugs and kisses.

When I grow up I hope to:
"Hmmm two tings"
1. Firefighter
2. Teacher

My favorite food is:
Macaroni and Cheese

My favorite book is:
Curious George

My favorite sport is:
Vikings!! (said with much enthusiasm)

If I could have one wish come true, I would wish:
to be a grown up when I grow up.

No comments: