Friday, March 30, 2012

Learning to let go: The Series

It’s been way too long since I’ve added a gem to this category and when you came skipping out of your room after getting dressed,
I knew today would be the day to add to it. 

2012-03-29 001 002

The colors in the picture don’t give justice to the ensemble…Your shirt is gray, your skirt is black, your leggings are brown and your socks, well you can see the socks, they are red and white striped.  You felt Full of Awesome on this day.

Your style continues to evolve. You still choose skirts and dresses over pants and tennis shoes. If you could twirl all day long, you would.  Words like beautiful and stylin’ come out of your mouth to describe the way you feel.  Due to the random warm weather days we have been having, I have had to step in and tell you outfits are not appropriate as you will be too cold. This has left you nothing but annoyed.  You say things like “But Mom. I will be fine.”  Which I have to respond with, “It is not summer yet, you cannot wear tank top dresses and flip flops.” 

A few days ago you declared that you were going to style your own hair and off you skipped to your bathroom.  When you came back out you said something along the lines of “What? It’s easy. You just braid the hair, twist it and put a barrette on the end. It’s easy.”  And then I looked at you. Oh how I had to contain every part of giggles and opinions.  I let it go. You thought you looked perfect and who was I to judge.

When you skipped up to your dad to ask him a simple question. He then realized you had done your own hair.  The look on his face was priceless. I wish I could have captured it on camera. He looked at me, raised his eyebrows as if saying, “Are you letting her go to school that way?” 
It was a glimpse into the many opportunities that are coming in the years ahead.  It’s self induced hair styles today and mini skirts and deep v-neck shirts another…

No comments: