Sunday, July 5, 2009

Garden 2009

It is a different sort of garden season this year. I am not 50 feet from the plot able to run out and take a look at each days progress. I am also 35 weeks and some odd days pregnant which leaves me with only the slightest desire to get down on my hands and knees and weed...

Not living at the same place as the garden, you are probably saying to yourself "Well, it really isn't your garden. It's your dad's" Alright. Alright. I get it. I still carry the pride with me though. I started a big handful of these plants from tiny tiny seeds. On a wing and a prayer we hoped they would grow. Well, now we need those wings and prayers to provide us some fruit and veggies! My dad called me last week and his exact words were "I think you neutered your tomato plants." When I asked him what he meant, he told me he seems pretty certain that our HUGE tomato plants are turning out to be all leaf and no fruit.

Mallory and I headed over to check out these plants for ourselves. HOLY CRAP! The tomatoes are almost as tall as Mallory, stalks thicker than two widths of my fingers, leafy green and lush. With not a single tomato growing. Others have told me we are too early and to just wait it out. Oh I hope they are right. The pumpkin plants are insanely big as well. If leaves give any sort of inclining as to how big the actual pumpkins are going to be, we may have some huge jack-o-lanterns this year. Everything else is coming along great!

Below:

Mallory in the tomato plants. They are huge.


Cucumbers bottom left, Carrots in the middle,


pumpkins towards the back and peas on far right



Our very first tiny (so far) pumpkin


No comments: