Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Decorating Part II

The Nativity Set came out this afternoon. My mom has been on my Dad's case for the last week so he dug it out and together (Mallory, Gary and I) put the pieces on the table. From the minute I saw the box I was bombarded with memories. This set was passed down from my mom's mom (Grandma Lois) She used to set this scene up in her basement. They are made out of ceramic and were given a bronze finish--to me it is beautiful, a true meaning and memory of Christmas. When my cousins, sister and I were little we would play with it like they were toys. I am sure we weren't supposed to, but we did it anyways. The camels and Shepperd's became life like. It wasn't too many years, and maybe by the time the 4th grandchild came around that the "actors" in the scene started to show some wear. Poor Wise man number 2 (we will call him the bearer of the Mehrr) has a broken hand. Not sure who was at fault--ask Robin and Nicole they most certainly will blame it on number 4 (and because she is the writer of this blog she shall remain nameless). And the saddest injury of them all...poor poor baby Jesus. The Christmas miracle child is without his left arm. No amount of healing the blind or feeding the poor could fix his broken limb.

Mallory asked millions of questions about the set. Most stemmed from why we can't touch we can just look...showing the injuries to prove the point is slowly setting in. I am little worried that she may believe that baby Jesus always has a broken arm....

The pictures are for no reason other than for 2 faithful blog readers who may miss their Grandma on any given day. A little piece of her sits on our table throughout the Christmas season...

3 comments:

Robin said...

It was number 4 if you ask me! Thanks for putting the pics up...brings back memorys! I miss Grandma.... :(

Anonymous said...

I am usually missing Mary and a shepard or wiseman. Elise puts them in her dollhouse!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! What funny timing. I was just complaining yesterday that I still can't find a nativity scene that I love as much as the one Grandma had, therefore I haven't bought one yet. And now here it is - I still love it as much as I did when we were little!