Sunday, July 17, 2011

1, 2, 3, JUMP!

The Crandall Cabin was packed on Saturday.  Six kids, four adults, tons of sun, and HOT weather where the water proved to be the place to be.

Molly and I loaded up the van with the kids (and Jada) and headed north to Sandy Lake.  We had envisioned a great Friday and Saturday enjoying the lake complete with fishing, swimming, castle building, bonfires, s’mores, pontoon rides, and a cousin sleep over.  Then we woke up Friday. Four inches of rain later, we decided to make a day trip up Saturday when the weather was going to cooperate.

Kate and Mark and the girls met us up there and we packed plenty of fun into one day. 

Highlight of the day…
2011-07-16 001 030
2011-07-16 001 033
2011-07-16 001 035
2011-07-16 001 036
I loved it. Every single jump I shook my head in disbelief. How far we’ve come. Normal for any other 4,5,6 year old?  Absolutely.  Finally she understands the thrill and fun to let yourself go, propel yourself off the dock and know your not gonna sink. I also had to ease her mind that she wouldn’t land on a fish. I promised her they would swim away in fear of the giant five year old plunging into the water. 

This is the first year, that I can remember, where the water has been so high we don’t have a beach.  The water is up over the landscape block and sloshes and sprays with each wave.  I am not a fan of change, so I am hoping it drops and gives us back our sandcastle building sand next summer.
2011-07-16 001 002

Mallory and Caleb had a blast fishing.  Of course the only picture I took was of the smallest fish Mal caught. For real…the rest were HUGE. How’s that for a true fisher-woman’s tale?
2011-07-16 001 042

Mikayla wanted to touch, grab and lick (I assume) the fish—until it gave its tailfin a wiggle and scared the crap out of her.  It was arms-length viewing from that point on. 
2011-07-16 001 044

All in all, our first trip of the season (gasp! July is almost over!  Remember the move? Who plans a move during the shortest summer season?) Mikayla loves the water.  She would swim all by herself if I just let her go.  Clearly she has no fear.  She found fun in finding big rocks, dumping, pouring and drinking lake water, and NOT riding on the boat.

No comments: