Monday, February 23, 2009

"Our First Walk"

This has never been done before on this blog I sure hope it goes over ok with the readers. For most of my life, especially my married and parental years (super weird that I can say 'parental years' but whatever, I digress) I have been having these "blog moments". Now, within the last year or so, I didn't call them blog moments I just knew that my life, just like all of yours, is filled with moments that if you don't choose to laugh and find a funny way to retell the stories to others so you can share the laughter, well then life is most certainly going to get the best of you. They became to be called blog moments a few months before I started the blog, I had enough of them that I thought I'd give this bloggin thing a try. So far, its been pretty fun.
Now fast forward (or rewind) to a night with K cubed (Kristen, Kristen and I). The three of us were enjoying dinner, talking about girl stuff, and Kristen and I started talking about things that happened "pre blog" that would still be funny enough (maybe just to us, who knows) to back blog about. So that is where I am at now.

Being a first time parent, or a parent to any newborn, comes with so many challenges that at some point you have to sit back, laugh, and hope that you can remember all the events as funny and not moments where you thought you had reached the end of your rope. Mallory was born in the coldest month of Minnesota's year, January. The days were short, which meant the nights were REALLY long. We had her in for her 2 week check up, and of course bleary eyed and exhausted, we wanted to make sure we were asking the doctor all the right questions, but also hoping we didn't fall asleep as we spoke. One of the questions I had was if I could take her out on a walk for some fresh air (Come on, give me a break, I was a brand new mom and at this point I still thought I could break my child...) He, of course, said yes, as long as she was bundled up and that is wasn't too cold out.

It was just about 3 years ago, that I decided I would venture out for my first walk with Mallory and of course the dog. I got Mallory all bundled up, snapped a few pictures (the event couldn't go without pictures as it was her 'first walk'), secured the car seat in the stroller (for the first time) and off we went.


Down the driveway we went. Lucy was REALLY excited and pulling on the leash making it hard for me to steer. Ok, get this under control the dog needs to figure out how to walk next to the stroller. Ok this is nice, the fresh air feels good. I feel (pretty) good and am not (too) sore as I am just 5 weeks post delivery. We get about a block away and I start to notice the back wheels of the stroller starting to move towards the edge of the stroller and PLOP a wheel falls off! What! So I bent down, holding the leash of a crazy dog, trying to put the wheel back on. Aha. I got it. Ok, it must have been a fluke. We keep walking. Another block away and the other wheel falls off at the same time that the first one is about ready to fall off again. You have got to be kidding me. I get the wheels back on, untangle my dog from the front two wheels and turn the damn stroller around. This is just ridiculous. The rest of the 2 or so blocks, I had to get home I spent every other step kicking each of the wheels so they wouldn't fall off. By the time I got home I was pissed, so sore from using some inside leg muscles I hadn't used in ahem 5 weeks, and tired. Mallory slept through the whole thing, not phased at all by our, very unsuccessful, first walk.

Brent came downstairs when I hobbled in and asked how the walk went. I, in much frustration, said that the stroller was broken and the wheels kept falling off. He brought the stroller inside, took one look at the stroller, went over to a kitchen drawer, pulled out a baggie and said "Ahh, now I know what these red caps are for." He then snapped them on the outside of each wheel and the stroller was as good as new.... Honestly.

And that is the "back blog moment" of my first walk with Mallory. Life, let it happen.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

hehe that story still makes me laugh. I wish I could remember my back blog moment!!