Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Anybody know where I can buy some homework?

Mallory really digs watching the school buses go by now that school started. This morning we went for an early trike ride and saw that Megan (our 9 year old next door neighbor) was waiting for the bus. We camped out on the driveway to watch and wait for the bus to come and pick up the kids. Mallory was her normal chatty self, talking all about school, her dog, getting bigger, the flowers, the buses, her preschool friends, polka dots (this is a new found love) and so on. She then turns to me and says the following:

Mommy! Mommy! When I get bigger and bigger and bigger (reaching her arms up to the sky) then I will go to school with that girl Megan and then I will go there and I will have so much fun!

I said to her "You already go to school, preschool, and you have lots of fun at preschool don't you?"

And she says "Yes I do! But I will be so excited when I go to that big big school that you used to go to when you when you were little (gee thanks...) and then I will get my homework and I will DO my homework and I will have friends at that big big school. When I get bigger. Hey Mommy!!! Can we buy homework today at Target, do you think we can?

"Oh Mallory we don't buy homework, the teachers need to give you homework, and trust me you don't want to start doing homework too early. I think we will wait until you are lots bigger before you start worrying about homework."

"Oh, but I like homework"

"I'll make sure to write that down and tell you this very story when you are 16..." And of she rode on her trike, looking for Lucy, asking Lucy if she wanted to do some homework...

I am sure glad I have 3 more years before I have to send her away to school on a bus....

3 comments:

Lexie said...

I love your story about Mallory and her homework...aren't they so cute when they are little and all they want to do is be bigger. As I was reading your story I couldn't help but think that you sounded an awful lot like Danny Tanner. haha! Love you!

Anonymous said...

OMG - so funny - you will have to hang this story up at her HS graduation - my nephew was always crying cause the big kids got to ride the bus to school - my sis used it as a potty training tool - at the local school you can walk there in the winter (like malls) - so when he was using the big boy pottie - they packed a snack and walked the school then sat in the lunchroom for a snack - he thought it was the coolest thing.

Anne said...

That is the cutest thing ever! hahah- Great story! You will have to get some counting or ABC books and treat it like homework everyday. Many bennies of doing that:)