Friday, February 5, 2010

My best friend, a new chapter…

Kristen and I have been friends since we were in 3rd grade which calculates out to be over 20 years of friendship. Ohhh! Now she is out’d on her age! Yup folks she is FAST approaching the big 3-0. We used to build forts in her basement, sled down the ravine in her backyard, and I used to cut the hair on her (and her sister Cari’s) Barbie dolls and My Little Ponies (yeah, I was that friend).

Over the years we’ve shared a lot of memories…

When I was in 5th grade my parents built our house in the same neighborhood that Kristen and Cari lived in. Wow were we ever lucky. We lived just 2 blocks from each other. The trip from one house to the other was just up the hill and down the hill. Most of the time, we would even meet each other 1/2 way…just to make the trip go a little quicker.

We had tons of sleepovers. We would stay up way too late talking about stuff that was sure to make our mother’s blush. I could ask her anything and she would always answer :)

In 8th grade we got into a fight and it lasted for 3 months. We refused to talk to each other. Then on her birthday, I felt so bad, I called her and asked her what she got for Christmas and her birthday and just like that the fight was over. If my memory serves me, we haven’t been in a fight since…

Our college years came and we went away to separate schools. When we graduated we both came back to the cities engaged and planning our weddings. Bridesmaids in each others weddings we were married just 6 weeks apart. Thank goodness our husbands get along so well…but really they don’t have a choice-with me, comes Kristen… We have shared many milestones together over the past 6.5 years. We adopted our dogs within days of each other. We spent the next 6 months questioning together, if we made the right decision as puppyhood was hard! As married couples we travelled together, always having a blast.

Brent and I took the jump into parenthood before the Jovles. Watching them interact with our kids is incredibly heart warming. Mallory loves Kristen and Justin like they are her true aunt and uncle. Well, really, Mallory loves Justin like he is her boyfriend, but that is for another post… They mean so much to our family. It is a feeling I have tried to portray to them, but it won’t be fully understood until they become parents themselves.

And now my turn has come. Kristen and Justin are having a baby! Baby J will make his or her appearance in August, and I could not be more thrilled for the two (three) of them. They have been incredible influences on my children’s lives and I cannot wait to be a part of their baby’s life. I can’t wait to show Kristen and Justin how simply amazing it is to surround your kids with people who love them the way they have loved mine.

Congratulations to you both. The road ahead is filled with miracles both big and small. Parenthood is a journey that has filled my heart with so much joy it is immeasurable. You will have a blast! Oh and one final note: Go take a nap, because parenthood is also exhausting beyond belief. Let the count down to August continue!!!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

awww such a nice post you made me get all teary at work. :) We've had so many fun memories and I can't wait to see all the ones to come with this little one.