Monday, July 21, 2008

Ever heard of Babar?


Mallory and I were playing tonight, she picked up a book and asked if I would read it to her. Mallory loves reading--she has since, well since forever. Brent and I have always made reading to her a priority and with that she has grown a true love of books. She usually falls into book rut, meaning that we read the same few stories night after night, week after week--I have several books of hers memorized (as does she) because of this ritual. Well tonight she grabbed a book that we have never ever read before. It was called "The Story of Babar" Now Babar has been around for a very very long time--think circa 1933 (I googled it). I recognized the picture of the elephant Babar but I don't have any memory growing up of reading Babar. Anyways, I open the book very eager to read about what this character is all about--Mallory LOVES elephants and I thought we both would love the book.

"The story of Babar" Mallory repeats his name and she says Babar in such a cute way that at this point, I am thinking Mr. Elephants middle name might have to be Babar.

First page: So cute--Little baby Babar swings in a hammock being pushed by his mother's trunk...awww I love Babar!!!

Second page: Babar loves to play in the forest with all of his forest friends. He especially likes to dig in the sand with shells. Mallory you love playing in the sand too!!

Third page: Babar is riding happily on his mother's back when a WICKED HUNTER, HIDDEN BEHIND SOME BUSHES, SHOOTS AT THEM. (oh no) I am not so sure of this Babar story

Fourth page: The hunter has killed Babar's mother. oh this is not good...

I begin to flip through the pages looking at the pictures and start making things up as I go along just to get done with this book... I ended the book on ok terms. Babar makes it back home after fleeing the forest and becomes King. The end.

Now that my daughter is safely tucked into bed (after Brent read her "If you give a pig a pancake" No death, no hunters, no mothers being killed...), I googled The Story of Babar and found this synopsis:

After Babar witnesses the slaughter of his beloved mother, he flees from the jungle and finds his way to Paris where he is befriended by the Old Lady. Babar eventually returns to the Elephant realm following the death of the previous King, who had eaten some poisonous mushrooms. Babar is crowned king, marries his 3rd cousin twice removed Celeste, and founds the city of Celesteville. Babar, who likes to wear a bright green suit, introduces a very French form of western civilization to the elephants, and causes them to dress in western attire.

Really? This is a kid's book? Wow. Call it sheltering, call it coddling, call it whatever you want, the garbage comes on Wednesday and this book, most definitely, will be hauled away with the rest of the trash.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a horrible story - I too would throw it away!! Kids should stay innocent as long as they can.

Tom, Jaime, Kendra said...

I don't even want to hear that type of story at my age! I hope I didn't buy her that book! Maybe you should read some of the books she isn't interested in yet, just to get rid of them before hand if need be!

Anne said...

I had NO idea of that story...good to know.