Monday, October 27, 2008

A special visit

Mallory is lucky enough to have two very very special grandma's in her life. They both love spending time with her and she loves both of them to the moon and back. My mom, Mallory's grandma Pat, is as special as they come. She loves to sing with Mallory, loves playing in her playroom and would drop whatever she was doing, even if she was in the middle of her very favorite I love Lucy episode, if Mallory needed her. Mallory knows nothing different when it comes to her Grandma Pat and she loves her with all of her heart. Today we decided that we should go visit Grandma Pat at Circle of Friends (COF). This is a place where my mom goes to spend most of her days during the week. She plays games, visits with other people, eats a great lunch, and thoroughly enjoys herself. Mallory and I made a special trip to Rainbow Foods to pick up a few things to pull off our big surprise. We bought some peanuts--they are an elephants favorite snack and some M&M's--of course we had to have Mallory's favorite snack too! We tied them up in cute Halloween gift bags and headed over to visit. Mallory put on her Halloween costume and we went inside to hand out our treats.

She carefully carried the basket inside as she knew she had a big job to do. After greeting her grandma with a great big elephant size hug, she set her basket down and handed out candy to each of the participants at COF. My heart swelled with pride as this little girl marched up to each person and handed them their treat with nothing less than a big smile on her face.

I could see in each of their eyes that she had made their day, especially her grandma's. She has no idea that the people she touched today, are viewed by the rest of the world as different. It's innocence like this I want to bottle up and have her take with her forever. With her grandma as her greatest teaching tool, I hope we can show her that it doesn't matter if you use wheels to move around or forget what day of the week it is, as long as you sing along to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and will eat "homemade" dinner and drink "homemade" coffee over and over again, all Mallory needs to know is that she has the world's greatest Grandma Pat. Love you Mom!

6 comments:

Anne said...

what a sweet story...

Abbie said...

Yes...that is adorable

Tom, Jaime, Kendra said...

That is a very touching story! That was great that she even went up to everyone. Very touching!

Amanda Jean said...

It's funny that I caught this post today, as this is something I've been thinking about a lot today.

I must say...brought tears to my eyes. I'm such a sap!

Lexie said...

Sorry I missed your call. I was in Rochester for Steph's confirmation. Such a cute story. I love you and little mallory so much! You are so blessed...brought tear to my eyes.

Anonymous said...

Mallory is so cute that she went up to every person and you are right she made their day! What a cutie!
Lori